Assignment: Ethical Concerns. Health, Medicine, Nursing Essay (Essay Sample)
Assignment: Ethical Concerns
As an advanced practice nurse, you will run into situations where a patient’s wishes about his or her health conflict with evidence, your own experience, or a family’s wishes. This may create an ethical dilemma. What do you do when these situations occur?
In this Assignment, you will explore evidence-based practice guidelines and ethical considerations for specific scenarios.
The parents of a 5-year-old boy have accompanied their son for his required physical examination before starting kindergarten. His parents are opposed to him receiving any vaccines.
A 49-year-old woman with advanced stage cancer has been admitted to the emergency room with cardiac arrest. Her husband and one of her children accompanied the ambulance.
A 27-year-old man with Crohn’s disease has been admitted to the emergency room with an extreme flare-up of his condition. He explains that he has not been able to afford his medications for the last few months and is concerned about the costs he may incur for treatment.
A single mother has accompanied her two daughters, aged 15 and 13, to a women’s health clinic and has requested that the girls receive a pelvic examination and be put on birth control. The girls have consented to the exam but seem unsettled.
A 17-year-old boy has come in for a check-up after a head injury during a football game. He has indicated that he would like to be able to play in the next game, which is in 3 days.
A 12-year-old girl has come in for a routine check-up and has not yet received the HPV vaccine. Her family is very religious and believes that the vaccine would encourage premarital sexual activity.
A 57-year-old man who was diagnosed with motor neuron disease 2 years ago is experiencing a rapid decline in his condition. He prefers to be admitted to the inpatient unit at a hospice to receive end-of-life care, but his wife wants him to remain at home.
Select one scenario, and reflect on the material presented throughout this course.
What would necessary information need to be obtained about the patient through health assessments and diagnostic tests?
Consider how you would respond as an advanced practice nurse. Review evidence-based practice guidelines and ethical considerations applicable to the scenarios you selected.
Write a detailed one-page narrative (not a formal paper) explaining the health assessment information required for a diagnosis of your selected patient (include the scenario number). Explain how you would respond to the scene as an advanced practice nurse using evidence-based practice guidelines and applying ethical considerations. Justify your response using at least 3 different references from the current evidence-based literature.
The patient in this scenario is a boy who has come for a physical examination before starting school. During the physical examination, I will check the child’s blood pressure and pulse so as to assess his vital organs. Further, I will weigh the child, and provide charts with shapes and letters that are of different sizes to assess his sight. I will also assess his hearing and listen to his lungs to assess the conditions of the lungs. If necessary, I will conduct screening tests if the information I gather from parents indicate that the child is pre-disposed to other medical conditions such as diabetes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Plagiarism Essays
- Poems Essays
- Identity Essays
- Vaccination Essays
- Death penalty Essays
- Cold war Essays
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to ethical dilemma:
- Accounting Ethics Dilemma's. Accounting, Finance, SPSS EssayDescription: A client has hired a CPA to perform audits according to the generally accepted auditing standards. One of the core responsibilities of the CPA is to employ a chief accounting officer for the new branch....2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Essay |
- The Concepts of CAF Ethics in a Military Setting Social Sciences EssayDescription: Cpt. Semrau was doing patrol in Helmand Province on the morning of Oct. 19, 2008, with his unit and other ANA soldiers when they found a man fatally wounded after he was shot down by US Apache Helicopter. Upon seeing the man, Cpt. Semrau administered ‘mercy killing’ by shooting him...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- The Appearance of Evil in Boule de Suif. Social Sciences Research PaperDescription: Boule de Suif is a captivating novella written by Guy de Maupassant during The Franco-Prussian War. The plot of the story captures a holistic, yet fascinating view of the human society, replete with contrasting religious and individual belief systems....8 pages/≈2200 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Research Paper |