Professional Advocacy through Association Membership Medicine Essay (Essay Sample)
Professional Advocacy through Association Membership
Professional advocacy is about supporting the interests of one’s profession. Professional associations advocate for their members by uniting as a single voice and taking action to advance or remove barriers to the profession. Nurse practitioners (NPs) unite in member-created associations and organizations at many different levels: local, state, national, and international. They unite as specialty groups to further the goals or interests of their profession. Each of these organizations has a purpose or mission, membership benefits, and role in professional advocacy. While individually the NP may be able to contact a legislator on an issue of concern, a professional organization has the collective power of being able to be heard in numbers. These organizations are poised to take the course of action needed to influence the stakeholders. Just as these groups take action to make change, individual NPs must take action to promote their own professional interests and causes. One of the best ways a professional can support their profession is by joining an association or organization.
Writing Assignment should:
• be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful
• display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics
• At least 2- 3 current sources (within 5 years)
1. Join the AANP American Association of Nurse Practitioners at the local, state, national or international level. (join as a student)
2. Discuss the mission and vision of this organization.
3. Describe the requirements for membership.
4. Explain at least five benefits to belonging to this organization.
5. Demonstrate understanding of the advocacy efforts of this organization by answering the following:
• What are the current key issues of concern (name at least three)?
• What actions are being taken by this organization to address these concerns?
• What current legislative efforts are being done by this organization in one of the following areas:
• expanding the NP scope of practice
• NP regulation of practice
• Healthcare policy
• Payment issues
• Prescriptive privileges
• Reflect on how your membership to this organization can promote the NP profession.
Professional Advocacy through the American Association of Nurse Practitioners Membership
AANP Mission and Vision
The American Association of Nurse Practitioners is an alliance of thousands of nurses with a high level of commitment in the profession to their careers. The well-achieved nurses are guided by values to work for the welfare of their clients, promoting the attainment of a healthy population. AANP has a distinct mission of ensuring that every patient accesses high-quality health care irrespective of their place of residence and the situation of their lives (AANP News, 2019). This mission supports the provision of efficient health services to all clients, including the low-income earners and people from the lowest termed areas of residence. What could people ask for if not reliable health care services at any facility with nurses under the Association? Also, the association works to deliver care to more than one billion patient visits in a twelve-month period (AANP News, 2019). On the other hand, the association looks forward to becoming the most promising in the delivery of efficient health care services in the United States (AANP News, 2019). The nurses working under AANP are dedicated to working in a patient-centered environment whereby the needs of their patients are a priority.
- Long-term Care Nursing Health, Medicine, Nursing EssayDescription: Long-term care nursing entails facilities where individuals go so that they can receive proper medical services and personal care for an extended period. In most cases, patients residing in these homes require healthcare attention so that they can recover quickly or lead comfortable lives. ...4 pages/≈1100 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Assessing Educator’s Role and Nursing Practice Nursing EssayDescription: Nursing responsibilities based on advanced practice, continues to develop globally. The common progression of the nurses' roles promotes the establishment and expansion of opportunities for advanced or improved nursing practices. Moreover, the escalating requirement for expert or professional nursing care ...2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Health Education Topic Paper Health, Medicine, Nursing EssayDescription: Cultural diversity in the United States and around the world poses various challenges to the global health care system's interventions to provide quality and safe care services to patients. The global community as a whole comprises of people from different social, political, and economic backgrounds...9 pages/≈2475 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |