Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Part 4: Research Analysis (Essay Sample)
Assignment: Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Part 4: Research Analysis
Architect Daniel Libeskind is credited with saying “To provide meaningful architecture is not to parody history, but to articulate it.” The suggestion is that his work does not copy the efforts of others but relies on it.
Understanding the work of others is critically important to new work. Contributions to the nursing body of knowledge can happen when you are able to analyze and articulate the efforts of previous research. Research analysis skills are therefore critical tools for your toolbox.
In this Assignment, you will locate relevant existing research. You also will analyze this research using a tool helpful for analysis.
Reflect on the strategies presented in the Resources this Module's Learning Resources in support of locating and analyzing research.
Use the Walden Library to identify and read one peer-reviewed research article focused on a topic in your specialty field that interests you.
Review the article you selected and reflect on the professional practice use of theories/concepts described by the article.
Using the “Module 4 | Part 4” section of your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Template presented in the Resources, conduct an analysis of the elements of the research article you identified. Be sure to include the following:
Your topic of interest.
A correctly formatted APA citation of the article you selected, along with link or search details.
Identify a professional practice use of the theories/concepts presented in the article.
Analysis of the article using the “Research Analysis Matrix” section of the template
Write a 1-paragraph justification stating whether you would recommend this article to inform professional practice.
Write a 2- to 3-paragraph summary that you will add to your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan that includes the following:
Describe your approach to identifying and analyzing peer-reviewed research.
Identify at least two strategies that you would use that you found to be effective in finding peer-reviewed research.
Identify at least one resource you intend to use in the future to find peer-reviewed research.
Note: Add your work for this Assignment to the original document you began in the Module 1 Assignment, which was built from the Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Template.
-3810053975035052000NURS 6003: Transition to Graduate Study for Nursing00NURS 6003: Transition to Graduate Study for Nursing
Academic and Professional Success Plan Template
Step 1: Research Analysis
Topic of Interest:
Suicide trends during the COVID-19 pandemic
Research Article: Include full citation in APA format, as well as link or search details (such as DOI)
Banerjee, D., Kosagisharaf, J. R., & Sathyanarayana Rao, T. S. (2021). 'The dual pandemic' of suicide and COVID-19: A biopsychosocial narrative of risks and prevention. Psychiatry Research, 295, 113577. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2020.113577
Professional Practice Use:
One or more professional practice uses of the theories/concepts presented in the article
1. The article seeks to find why the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has led to an increase in suicidality. The authors of the article concluded that the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has led to an increase in suicide because of the preventive measures that the public has to observe to curb the disease's spread. The authors' connected known risk factors for suicide with contributors caused by the pandemic.
(This table has been copied from the article).
Risk Factor Contributors caused by pandemicLoneliness, isolation, and boredomSocial (along with physical) distancingTravel restrictionLack of access to technologyQuarantine and confinementFear and uncertaintyUnknown nature of the infection/lack of biological cureMisinformation / ‘information pollution’Irresponsible media reportingCompetition for health careMarginalizationSocial stigmaPrejudiceBlame and xenophobiaCommunal sentimentsPsychological disordersHealth anxietyDepressionGrief/bereavementAcute stress, paranoiaPost-traumatic stress disorderSubstance abuseRelapse of psychiatric disordersLimited access to healthcareLack of medications and supervision (non-compliance)Lack of awarenessStress diathesis directly related to the pandemicEconomic falloutRecession/financial crisisEmployment and salary lossThe collapse of small-scale industriesGuiltDaily-wage workersUncertainty of futureDomestic abuse and Intimate partner violenceIncreased contact time between partners (entrapment with abusive partners)Substance abuseSexism and prejudice against the opposite genderResponsibility for childrenSpecial vulnerabilitiesAdolescent,Elderly (more prone to isolation, loneliness, depression, and increased baseline suicidal risk)Frontline health workers (health workers, police, essential service providers, volunteers, delivery personnel, etc.)Migrants and homelessPoverty and lower socio-economic status
2. The article has also explored some classical theories that explain suicidality and applied them to the data collected about the relationship between suicide and the COVID-19 guidelines. The authors have shown how some of these theories can be applied to understand suicidality during the pandemic. For example, according to Durkheim's theory, there are four types of suicide; egoistic, altruistic, anomic, and fatalistic. The authors have mapped how pandemi...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Plagiarism Essays
- Poems Essays
- Identity Essays
- Vaccination Essays
- Death penalty Essays
- Cold war Essays
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Changes in Adolescence Period of Life Span (Health, Medicine, Nursing Essay)Description: Human life is made up of several stages that mark their development. The stages span from conception to the period that one can stay before death. While some people may die earlier than others, life span is concerned with the usual stages an individual goes through before death....3 pages/≈825 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Benchmark: Abuse and Neglect in Health Care Interview (Health, Medicine, Nursing Essay)Description: The health care professional I interviewed revealed that in the state of Nevada, mandatory reporting laws require specific professionals to report known or suspected cases of abuse and neglect. ...5 pages/≈1375 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Diagnostic criteria (Pathophysiology): Central Sleep Apnea (CSA)Description: The CSA is characterized by the recurrent cessation of airflow for a few episodes, often related to a lack of respiratory effort, during sleep. The diagnosis of this kind of apnea demands an evidence of repetitive apneas, and symptoms including breathing in sleep fragmentation, insomnia, and daytime hyper-somnolence...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |