Week 5 Discussion: Reutzel And Cooter (2015) (Essay Sample)
Week 5 - Discussion: VocabularyChildren who enter school with a large vocabulary have a better chance of success than children who are more language deprived for whatever reason (Reutzel & Cooter, 2015).
Respond to the following prompts in the Vocabulary discussion forum by Wednesday:
• Why is vocabulary knowledge in reading the 'great predictor of school success’ according to the text?
• What are the three tiers of vocabulary? What kinds of words are in each tier?
• What are the four types of vocabulary that every person possesses?
• What memories of learning vocabulary in school do you have?
Reasons why vocabulary knowledge in reading the ‘great predictor of school success’ according to Reutzel and Cooter’s text
Reutzel and Cooter (2015) maintain that children who enter school with a large vocabulary have a better chance of success than children who have language deprived. According to CITATION YIL11 \l 1033 (YILDIRIM, YILDIZ, & ATEŞ, 2011), there is a general assumption that the vocabularies that a reader has do not only affect their lives but they also impact other people’s experiences. Studies further indicate that readers use their vocabularies to link between the writers’ content and their prior concept and develop a comprehension process. Besides, research shows that preschool experience forms an essential knowledge base that shape readers’ comprehension process. Hence, readers with rich knowledge about text have a better chance of comprehending academic contents. YILDIRIM, YILDIZ, and ATEŞ (2011) further indicate that like prior knowledge, vocabulary also impacts readers’ ability to understand and achieve specific levels of success. The finding is founded on the transactional reading model, which maintains that learners respond to texts based on their experiences and the experience of other people. “In this process, the reader’s experiences and connections between new words and concepts are very important to explain the comprehension structure (p.1544).”
The three tiers of Vocabulary and the kinds of words in each level
According to CITATION Hut08 \l 1033 (Hutton & CCC-SLP, 2008), vocabularies comprise of receptive vocabularies, which are words that people understand when they read or hear them and expressive vocabularies which consist of written and spoken words. People develop their vocabularies from what they read and by picking up words from
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to memories:
- Describe Why I Want To Become A Merchant MarinerDescription: As a student, I think the organization is perfect for me because firstly, it has an affiliated schooling program for individuals willing to learn all of its 12 autonomous labor unions including my specialty as a merchant mariner. ...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Western Education Is Better Than Eastern EducationDescription: Discuss and summarize three additional sources discovered regarding your topic. What did you learn from your research? What authors surprised you with their conclusions? Why did you feel compelled to use their article? ...1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Research Paper |
- Western Education Is Better Than Eastern EducationDescription: The different education system will cultivate different abilities for children. People are in search of higher EQ in the Eastern education system. ...1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |