Assignment 1.1: Conflicting Viewpoints Essay - Part I (Essay Sample)
Assignment 1.1: Conflicting Viewpoints Essay - Part I
Due Week 2 and worth 30 points
When looking for information about a particular issue, how often do you try to resist biases toward your own point of view? This assignment asks you to engage in this aspect of critical thinking by playing the "Believing Game." The Believing Game is about making the effort to "believe" - or at least consider - the reasons for an opposing view on an issue.
The assignment is divided into two (2) parts.
In Part I of the assignment (due Week 2), you will first read a book excerpt about critical thinking processes: "The Believing Game and How to Make Conflicting Opinions More Fruitful" at http://www(dot)procon(dot)org/sourcefiles/believinggame.pdf. Next, you will review the Procon.org Website in order to gather information. Then, you will engage in prewriting to examine your thoughts.
Note: In Part II of the assignment (due Week 4), you will write an essay geared towards synthesizing your ideas.
Part I - Prewriting: Follow the instructions below for this prewriting activity. Use complete sentences and adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
1. Select one (1) of the approved topics from the www(dot)procon(dot)org Website and state your position on the issue.
2. From the Procon.org Website, identify three (3) premises (reasons) listed under either the Pro or Con section - whichever section opposes your position.
3.For each of the three (3) premises (reasons) that oppose your position on the issue, answer these "believing" questions suggested by Elbow:
What's interesting or helpful about this view?
What would I notice if I believed this view?
In what sense or under what conditions might this idea be true?"
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized writing:
Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
Address main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA Style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
Identify the informal fallacies, assumptions, and biases involved in manipulative appeals and abuses of language.
Create written work utilizing the concepts of critical thinking.
Use technology and information resources to research issues in critical thinking skills and informal logic.
CONFLICTING VIEWPOINTS ESSAY - PART I
The issue of legalizing the use of medical marijuana has brought controversial debates over a long period of time. Different schools of thoughts have diverged different views in relation to the use of this drug. National and regional treaties have been established to forbid the use of this drug. However, sixteen states in the United States of America have legalized the use of weed for medicinal purposes, a factor that has prompted the US federal law to recognize this drug and the efforts developed to legalize it as worthwhile (Adler, 2015). In my opinion, I believe the legalization of medical marijuana for medicinal purposes is one of the important factors that the stat...
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to legalize marijuana:
- Decriminalization of Marijuana: Medicine, Social, and Recreational EffectDescription: Marijuana and medicine, social, and recreational effects. The facts advocate for studying the importance of decriminalization of weed possession...12 pages/≈3300 words | 12 Sources | Chicago | Law | Essay |
- Decriminalization of Weed: The Human Element and the Toll it Takes on Human LifeDescription: When it comes to the most controversial of topics or debates in the United States of America, then legalization of marijuana takes centre stage....5 pages/≈1375 words | 6 Sources | Chicago | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Drugs and Society: Heroin, Marijuana, and MDMA (Ecstasy) Description: After detailing the similarities and differences of these three drugs, choose one and argue why this drug should be changed to a Schedule II drug...8 pages/≈2200 words | 10 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Term Paper |