Research Assignment Paper 3: Obesity in America (Essay Sample)
Obesity in America is considered an epidemic. There are many contributing factors to obesity (both childhood and adult), such as biological, environmental, social, or economic factors. Review the information on obesity on pages 419 to 421 in the textbook. You may also use the Internet or Strayer Library to research obesity and its causes.
“What Are the Health Risks of Overweight and Obesity?” located at http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/risks.html
Write a one to two page (1-2) page essay in which you:
(1) Describe the effect that obesity (childhood and / or adult) has had on you personally or your community.
(2) Select one (1) contributing factor to childhood or adult obesity. Recommend two (2) preventative measures related to the selected factor that people can take in order to reduce their chance of becoming obese.
(3) Discuss one (1) sociological theory that relates to the selected contributing factor to obesity.
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
To keep this essay short and manageable, your only sources for the essay should be the article from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and the sections noted in your text. For this reason, APA citations or references are not required for this assignment.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
1. Define the basic concepts used in the discipline of sociology.
2. Explain the major theoretical paradigms of sociology.
3. Use technology and information resources to research issues in sociology.
4. Write clearly and concisely about sociology using proper writing mechanics.
Assignment 3: Obesity in America
Assignment 3: Obesity in America
According to Landsberg et al (2013), obesity is a health condition that is chronic and serious having a destructive effect upon a lot of systems in the body. The individuals in the society who are overweight are in a constant and exceeding risk of developing other serious health conditions comprising of type 2 diabetes, joint and bone disease as well as heart disease. On reaching epidemic proportions means that it affects a lot of people either directly or indirectly. Living in a culture that perceives physical attraction as appearing to be slender implies that obese individuals including children often suffer disadvantages. Overweight people are accused of their state as being lazy thus facing social segregation. As such, it may become tough for the obese individual to expand their social spheres as would be a person who is not overweight leading to fewer romantic relationships for instance. Others who disapprove obese individuals often leads them to torment, discrimination as well as bias.
Essentially, obesity happens when there is an imbalance in the energy of extra calories intake than when used through an extension of a period normally resulting from a lot of factors which include behavioral, Birch, (2015). For instance, adolescents consume larger proportions of beverages which are highly concentrated with sugar that the body fails to use in the process of time. Moreover
- Write a Story in Which Fire Plays an Essential PartDescription: Since the inception of the universe, man continues to evolve and with this evolution, the environment around him continues to change too and as such man has to adapt to the changes...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Creative Writing | Essay |
- Prepare Leisure Definition Research Assignment PaperDescription: Leisure studies have highlighted the difference between serious and casual leisure, and leisure is closely tied to recreation activities....3 pages/≈825 words | 4 Sources | APA | Creative Writing | Essay |
- Discussion 3: Adoption of Evidence-Based Medicine in Health CareDescription: What can be done to achieve greater adoption of evidence-based medicine in the delivery of health care?...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | APA | Creative Writing | Essay |