Developing Relationships Communications & Media Essay (Essay Sample)
Apply some of the theories and concepts from Chapters 8 and 9 to the relationship/s of characters portrayed in one of your favorite television shows, movies, or books.
Paragraph #1: Based on social exchange theory think about how the characters balance the advantages/rewards and disadvantages/costs of their relationship. What extrinsic rewards, instrumental rewards, and/or intrinsic rewards do they gain from their relationship? What costs are involved?
Paragraph #2: Explain a scenario where the characters experience dialectical tensions due to: autonomy versus connection, openness versus closedness, or predictability versus novelty.
Paragraph #3: Describe a conflict trigger that surfaces in the characters' relationship based on: 1.) inaccurate perceptions, 3.) incompatible goals, 3.) unbalanced costs and rewards, or 4.) provocation.
Paragraph #4: Give an example of a scene where the communication climate is: 1.) defensive or 2.) supportive. Briefly explain why.
The social exchange theory is a type of relationship where people seek to know each other through exchanging information. The people can either be blood-related or strangers; what matters is how they interact with others and balance the costs, benefits, and demerits of their interaction. In the popular American television series 'Shameless,' there is an awkward relationship between Frank Gallagher and his children. In season 1, he has a problem bonding with the fourth born son and fifth born daughter. He had lost his connection with the earlier children now; he sought to build a relationship with the youngest children. Frank was looking to divert his mind from alcohol because he wanted to win money, yet the kids were genuine in their interaction. Their objectives were mismatched, and Frank reconciling the relationship was not a priority. Lasting relationships are based on trust, and there was a lack of it in the case study (Rucinski et al., 2018). The children risked being left alone again, and their elder brother and sister warned them of a pending
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to relationship:
- Quantitative Research Proposal Health, Medicine Research ProposalDescription: Although individuals view the ownership of firearms or guns as a recipe for reducing crimes, there have been concerns whether this is a contributing factor to rising crime rates. Gun violence is a significant concern for policymakers, with records showing more than 10000 gun-related deaths...4 pages/≈1100 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Proposal |
- Conceptual and Theoretical Models Health, Medicine, Nursing EssayDescription: Imogene King initiated the theory around the 1960s to describe the dynamics and interpersonal environment and relationship in which clients develop to achieve particular goals. The theory addresses the relationship between the medical providers, their patients, and how it affects their life goals...2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Gig Workers and Employees v. Independent Contractors Law CourseworkDescription: The principal-agent relationship and employer-employee relationship reflect that the agents and employees are answerable to the principal and employer. Employees are agents of the principal and gig workers who are independent contractors. One example of gig workers is the Uber drivers...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Law | Coursework |