Mcgregor's Theory X and Theory Y (Essay Sample)
Read Chapters 1 & 2 in the Greenberg textbook.
1. Contrast McGregor's Theory X and Theory Y assumptions about people.
2. What types of managers have you dealt with in your organization?
3. What set of assumptions are you likely to follow and why?
4. Review the history of Organizational Behavior in terms of scientific management, the human relations movement, and classical organizational theory. Apply your personal work experience and discuss the similarities with these OB theories.
The response to your discussion questions must be supported by a peer-reviewed/scholarly journal article your textbook with citations from both. Please give the reference(s) at the bottom of your post. APA formatting is required for all citations and references. Your initial post should be at least 250 words.
Mcgregor's Theory X and Theory Y
In his 1960 book 'The Human Side of Enterprise', the American social psychologist, Douglas McGregor, proposed his famous X-Y theory. Theory X and Theory Y are management and motivation theories that describe two contrasting models of workforce motivation in organizational behavior, human resource management, organizational development and organizational communication. McGregor's work is based on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, organized into a higher-order needs (Theory Y) and a lower-order needs (Theory X). He suggested that either set of needs could be utilized by the management to motivate employees but that the use of Theory Y rather than Theory X gave better results (McGregor, et al. 1980).
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Business Law Briefing Paper Description: A guaranty contract is an agreement, where the guarantor agrees to be responsible for an obligation of the principal or a client. For the plaintiffs...1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | APA | Business & Marketing | Essay |
- Rejecting Opportunities StrategicallyDescription: The message of the letter was purely related to declining to take up a position from the Greenleaf firm...4 pages/≈1100 words | 2 Sources | APA | Business & Marketing | Essay |
- Leadership Communication Case Study Description: We as the budget coordination team, we have noticed that costs are quickly rising that the refinery sites may soon become uncompetitive...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | APA | Business & Marketing | Essay |