Lack of Ethics in Toxic Leadership: Productivity (Essay Sample)
One of the most beneficial exercises in a course exploring ethics is to develop a paper that allows you the opportunity to create connections between your personal view of ethics and the theory under discussion. The nature of ethical decision making encompasses recognition, analysis and resolution. We often don’t make a decision because it’s ethical, but rather, because it makes sense from our personal view of the situation. That is, ethical decisions happen “after the fact” as we begin to see the actual implications of the decision.
With this in mind, your paper should explore current ethical issues in the workplace that are relevant to your current career or the career that you are preparing to pursue. Your task is to begin to explore the possible issues within your workplace and choose one to focus on throughout the course as you begin to build your final paper. Please consider the following as possible approaches for this final paper:
•Illustrate the impact of organizational goals and objectives, structure, culture, environment, ethics policies, and incentive systems on ethical behavior within an organization
•Evaluate and revise an ethics program to increase ethical behavior within an organizational environment.
•Create and systematically apply a defensible ethical moral framework to a contemporary ethics issue. To systematically apply the ethical moral framework, you must use the framework consistently as you describe the ethics issue. Explore the issue using the framework you create. HINT: This is done through the application of an ethical theory.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
•Employment issues (sexual harassment, diversity, discrimination, etc.)
•Performance appraisal and compensation
•Financial and accounting measures
•Using reward systems to enhance ethical behavior and/or reinforce unethical behavior
•Corporate social responsibility
Your final paper will be developed in three parts (selected topic, outline and final paper) throughout the course.
For this activity, use the list of possible topics to explore the possible issues within your workplace. Then, choose one topic to focus on throughout the course. Briefly research your topic to ensure there is sufficient information available to you for developing your research topic. Finally, use MS Word to create a "one-page" document that describes your “topic and thesis sentence” for your Individual Research Project.
Lack of Ethics in Toxic Leadership
Toxic leadership affects organizations and the workplace culture, potentially reducing productivity and discouraging team work. Toxic leaders perform numerous destructive acts that show personal characteristics, and while their actions may not be intentional in most cases such leaders violate ethics. Sometimes, the toxic leaders are associated with deterioration in discipline, initiative and enthusiasm in workplaces. If organizations promote models of leadership through the measures used to assess where the toxic leaders fit in the organization’s culture it is more likely that such leaders will cause the workplace culture to be toxic. Additionally, toxic leaders do not consider the well-being of their subordinates and often time are only fixated on the intermediate outcome. I will explore how toxic leadership is a destructive leadership style that is associated with ethical misconduct.
Toxic leadership affects organizations negatively in the n along-term resulting in a hostile work environment. Typically, the toxic leaders do not offer full support the employees making it difficult to support the organization’s goals and objectives. As such, toxic leaders exhibit dysfunctional traits that harm the employees, teams, organizations and communities. Furthermore, toxic leaders affect how people relate in the workplace, as they are under pressure to perform in environments with toxic workplace cultures (Armitage, 2015). Since ethical conduct is associated with developing ethical leaders, when there are toxic leaders it is less likely that there will be commitment to support ethics in the workplace (Dinh et al., 2014).
Toxic leaders also prefer system where there is a lack of checks and balances since such environments lack accountability and power is conce
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to ethics essays:
- Code Of Ethics: How It Is Socialized In The CompanyDescription: These days, companies have their distinctive codes of ethics and intend to come up the expectations of their customers as well as employees....2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- The Role Of Ethics And Social ResponsibilityDescription: Ethics relate to the values that are reflected in business culture as the norms and principles, guiding employees' behavior and decision making of the organizations, create their codes of ethics....2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | APA | Management | Coursework |
- Social Media Ethics: Public View Of CompanyDescription: Social media policies in the professional world work to protect the image of the company, its confidentiality, marketing power and acts as a guidance on what should and should not be shared on social media....11 pages/≈3025 words | 3 Sources | APA | Business & Marketing | Research Paper |