Mini Case Accounting, Finance, SPSS Essay Research (Essay Sample)
Answer the following questions in a separate document. Explain how you reached the answer or show your work if a mathematical calculation is needed, or both.
Suppose you decide (as did Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg) to start a company. Your product is a software platform that integrates a wide range of media devices, including laptop computers, desktop computers, digital video recorders, and cell phones. Your initial client base is the student body at your university. Once you have established your company and set up procedures for operating it, you plan to expand to other colleges in the area and eventually to go nationwide. At some point, hopefully sooner rather than later, you plan to go public with an IPO and then to buy a yacht and take off for the South Pacific to indulge in your passion for underwater photography. With these plans in mind, you need to answer for yourself, and potential investors, the following questions:
1.What is an agency relationship? When you first begin operations, assuming you are the only employee and only your money is invested in the business, would any agency conflicts exist? Explain your answer.
2.Suppose your company raises funds from outside lenders. What type of agency costs might occur? How might lenders mitigate the agency costs?
3.What is corporate governance? List five corporate governance provisions that are internal to a firm and are under its control.
4.Briefly describe the use of stock options in a compensation plan. What are some potential problems with stock options as a form of compensation?
5.Briefly explain how regulatory agencies and legal systems affect corporate governance.
Course Name and Number
Assignment Due Date
An agency relationship refers to a fiduciary relationship where one party known as the principle allows the other party known as the agent to act on their behalf (Panda & Leepsa, 2017). It arises when the principal hires the agent to perform some services and delegate decision-making authority to the agent. The agent is subject to the control of the principal and must consent to the decisions of the principle. If I am the only employee and investor in the business, no agency conflict would exist because I am the sole owner of the company, and I own 100% of the company’s common stock.
An agency problem occurs when the company’s manager owns less than 100% of the common stock, leading to the agency conflict (Panda & Leepsa, 2017). Presumably, as a single proprietor, I would operate the business to maximize my welfare, with the measure of the welfare taking the form of increased personal wealth, profits, and more leisure. Since the manager has less than 100% of the company’s common stock, they will neither enjoy all the benefits of their efforts nor bear all the perquisite consumption costs. This will increase the incentive to take actions that are not in the best interest of shareholders who are not managers.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
- Dance Essays
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Human rights Essays
- Career Essays
- A rose for emily Essays
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- Heart of darkness Essays
- Suicide Essays
- Fast food Essays
- Short story Essays
- Fraud Prevention and Detection Policy Accounting, Finance, SPSS EssayDescription: Anyone who saw that happened in 2001 with Enron Corporation understands why the issue of fraud often elicits knee-jerk reactions from companies. At its peak, Enron had managed to reach heights that many companies are striving to get to. A report on the investigation of the company shows...4 pages/≈1100 words | APA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Essay |
- 401Ks in PE Accounting, Finance, SPSS Essay ResearchDescription: 401k plans may soon be allowed to invest in private equity. What impact do you expect this to have on the private equity markets and will individual investors be interested in investing in this asset class? Would you want to invest your retirement savings in private equity...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Essay |
- Returns and Bond Ratings Accounting, Finance, SPSS EssayDescription: From the above question, it is evident that the installments will be paid immediately. Therefore when computing, we will deal with annuity due than the ordinary annuity. It is also very important to determine the periodic payment so that it will be easier to calculate the present...3 pages/≈825 words | APA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Essay |