3 pages/≈825 words
Mathematics & Economics
Operations Management: Natural Blends (Coursework Sample)
Operations Management - Case Study: Natural Blendssource..
Operations Management - Case Study: Natural Blends
Assume that the production system was running only one size of oranges. Consider just process steps two through four: extraction, filtration, and concentration.
(2) (3) (4)
1a.How much orange juice concentrate can be processed in one 8-hour workday?
There is a bottleneck in the juice filtration process requiring half an hour for the filter change
= [8 hours-(1/2 set up* 4 filter set ups)]* 18,000 pounds per hour
=108,000 pounds per day
1b.Assume extraction had previously been setup for the size oranges being processed. How much idle time will there be in the extraction operation during one 8-hour workday?
If the extraction process followed the same schedule as the extraction process then would be need to shut down the operations for 30 minutes before it is restarted after having ran for 90 minutes.
The idle time= time for the filter setups for the 8 hour working day
= 0.5 hours* 4 filter setups/day= 2 hours/day
2a.If you could add storage capacity somewhere between steps two and four in this production line in order to increase daily output, where would you place it? How much storage would you add?
The ideal situation is to place the storage unit between filtration (3) and concentration (4) with a capacity of 3,000 pounds given that the production time differs from process to process between the two processes and so is the speed of movement.
At the time of filtration, this is 90/60*(20,000-18, 000)=3000.
The need for the storage is that it helps in decoupling from one phase to the other while also improving the overall performance of the system. The storage will not increase the speed of the concentrator, but will improve the downtime processes.
It is noteworthy that the bottlenecks, production timeline as well as the maximum capacity for a day influence decisions on choosing any of the options.
3a- If the cost of adding st...
Get the Whole Paper!
Not exactly what you need?
Do you need a custom essay? Order right now:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
- Dance Essays
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Human rights Essays
- Career Essays
- A rose for emily Essays
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- Heart of darkness Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to the story of an hour:
- The Primary Theme of William Faulkners Barn BurningDescription: Barn burning is story that was authored by William Faulkner and American writer. The story whichis quite interesting is riddled with many themes among them the theme of father and son relationship...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Everyday Use and Marriage is a Private AffairDescription: Comparison between Everyday Use" by Alice Walker and "Marriage is a Private Affair," by Chinua Achebe...3 pages/≈825 words | No Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Use of ForceDescription: After reading Use of Force by William Carlos Williams, answer this question: Is the doctor justified or unjustified in his "use of force?"...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | MLA | Communications & Media | Essay |