Twelfth Night Soundtrack: Love For Olivia (Coursework Sample)
First, view this video of Twelfth Night:
Twelfth Night is the most musical of Shakespeare's plays and frequently uses music to communicate the characters' emotions. Design your own soundtrack for a film version of the play, selecting one song for each key plot event, justifying why that song reflects the scene's emotions. This project will be marked on thought and detail, creativity, and intellectual play.
There is no official format for this assignment. If you have any questions about what music to use, I’m pretty open to all styles except country music, but feel free to reach out if you have questions. There are 11 key plot events:
1. ORSINO DECLARES HIS LOVE FOR OLIVIA (ACT 1, SCENE 1)
2. A SHIPWRECK (ACT 1, SCENE 2)
3. DISORDER IN OLIVIA'S HOUSEHOLD (ACT 1, SCENE 3)
4. VIOLA IS EMPLOYED BY ORSINO (ACT 1, SCENE 4)
5. OLIVIA AND CESARIO MEET FOR THE FIRST TIME (ACT 1, SCENE 5)
6. MALVOLIO AND SIR TOBY CROSS SWORDS (ACT 2, SCENE 3)
7. MALVOLIO'S DOWNFALL IS PLOTTED (ACT 2, SCENE 5)
8. ANOTHER SHIPWRECK SURVIVOR ARRIVES IN ILLYRIA (ACT 3, SCENE 3)
9. MALVOLIO IS IMPRISONED, SIR ANDREW ISSUES A CHALLENGE AND VIOLA LEARNS
10. OLIVIA BELIEVES SHE HAS FOUND HAPPINESS (ACT 4, SCENE 3)
11. THE RESOLUTION (ACT 5, SCENE 1)
Twelfth Night Soundtrack
Orsino declares his love for Olivia (act 1, scene 1)
Jon B. - Pretty Girl r&b music would work a long way in this scene to describe the beauty of Olivio in Orsino's eyes and his desire to have her in his life. Orsino is happy when Olivia made a grand entrance to his place after sending his messenger Cessario (Viola) to deliver a love letter to Olivia. Orsino utters that heaven walks on earth after Olivia's grand entrance to his place. This was a way of portraying his love for Olivia and also it was a sign of happiness.
A shipwreck (act 1, scene 2)
The Bedroom playlist pt I r&b soul 720p music would be an appropriate portrayal of Orsino’s love towards Olivia. Orsino seems happy when flopping about beds covered with roses, listening to music while waxing eloquent about the beautiful Olivia to the servants. Therefore, the song would help in expressing Orsino’s love towards Olivia that exposes him to a world of fantasy. In essence, the music would express how love conquered Orsino.
Disorder in Olivia's household (act 1, scene 3)
The Reggae song Arrogant by Kerwin Du Bois would be appropriate to describe Sir Toby Belch, arrogance after having been criticized by Maria the maid for his drinking habits that upset his mourning niece and he does not seem to care. Sir Toby Belch retaliates that anyone who fails to utilize Olivia’s money for pleasures such as drinking is a scum. The song would be appropriate to his anger that triggers his arrogant character as he retaliates to Maria’s sentiments.
Viola is employed by Orsino (act 1, scene 4)
How Can You Mend A Broken Heart by Al Green depicts Viola emotions of being broken-hearted. Viola reflects how hard it can be to attempt to play a matchmaker for a man that she loves herself. Viola disguises as a man and was identified as Cesario while working for Osario.
- "White Oleander" by Janet FitchDescription: In the book, after Astrids mother is prisoned for killing her boyfriend, Astrid is taken away to foster home...3 pages/≈825 words | 1 Source | MLA | Literature & Language | Coursework |
- Define the Italian Neorealism Research Assignment Description: Why is it considered a revolutionary style in the context of film-making and how it has influenced directors all over the world? ...1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Coursework |
- 50 First Dates Worksheet Coursework Assignment Description: Based on the clip, Drew Barrymore is using her memory to discuss a topic and how to take turns in a conversation. ...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Coursework |