New Technology Interview Paper: Electronic Health Record (Coursework Sample)
1) Interview a health care leader about a new technology he or she selected, planned for, and implemented.
2) Write a paper of 1,000–1,200 words, from your perspective, on how that process occurred, what happened, what the leader would do again, and what mistakes he or she may have made.
3) Refer to the assigned readings to incorporate specific examples and details into your paper.
4) Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
5) This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.source..
New Technology Interview Paper
New Technology Interview Paper
Due to the pressures involved in dealing with a large number of patients and the responsibilities that come with it, there is a growing need to come up with a system that makes this process easy. These responsibilities include taking care of payment models and care delivery methods for different patients. When physicians concentrate much on performing these administrative responsibilities, less time is spent caring for the patients. Therefore, to reduce this burden and improve direct patient care, technology is suggested as the means through which this can be achieved. By using technology, any hospital is capable of providing patient care that is both safe and of high quality.
I interviewed nurse leader Mr. Kahana from John Hopkins hospital about a technology that they supervised and implemented. From the interview, it was gathered that Mr. Kahana led in planning for, supervising and even implementing the use of the Electronic Health Record (EHR) technology. When asked about what considerations the new system would take into account, Mr. Kahana noted that “privacy and security of patients` information will be ensured, and the care team trained.” In doing this, it will make the adaptation process very easy hence enabling the physicians, patients and the staff to reap from the benefits of implementing the new technology. The nurse leader also identified the benefits of adopting the EHR system both clinically, organizationally and on the society. Some of these as also echoed by Menachemi and Collum (2011) include, reducing medical errors, high-quality care, easing operation, reducing the costs for patients and improving the overall health of the society. The truth of these facts is supported by the increased adoption of this technology by most hospitals, especially in the UK.
Next, Mr. Kahana gave an outline of what the implementation process entailed. The process took place in several types. On the first step, Kahana pointed out that “the implementation process of the EHR has to begin with creating a team. My team was made up of basically the caregivers including nurses, physicians, the administrative and compliance office staff, medical assistants and receptionists.” According to Hodgkins (2015), having a team is necessary for that it easier for hospital staff to teach each other on the skills of handling the EHR system. In addition, the implementation team can be notified in case any challenges that need addressing. The second step was configuring the software. Kahana ensured the security measures were taken care of by appropriately configuring the EHR using the help of a health IT vendor. Given the large population at John Hopkins hospital, Kahana also considered the hardware needs for the system. According to him, “an organization can save a lot in time and money if the hardware used is right.” In this regard, the EHR system by Kahana ensured less time was spent logging in and accessing information by availing laptops and tablets to every worker. After this, data
- INT 3063 50 Coursework: Learning and Research Skills CourseDescription: Respond to five of the seven items below. Include all five responses in the same document, with one title page and a reference list...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | APA | Literature & Language | Coursework |
- Can You Think Of American Moral Values In Walt Disney's Version Of Pinocchio?Description: The Walt's Disney Pinocchio is an animation movie that portrays the moral battle of living a good or evil life as depicted by Pinocchio...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Coursework |
- The Persuaders Assignment: What In The Persuaders Surprised You?Description: What kinds of information would you be willing to share about yourself or your family in order to: enter a contest? Get a discount? Get a phone? Use a credit card? Would you be willing to reveal your name, address and phone number? ...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Coursework |