Principles of Food Science Assignment Life Sciences Coursework (Coursework Sample)
The textbook is for you to refer to, not mandatory. You still need other sources.
- Examine the ingredient list for Yves Jumbo Veggie Dogs. Vegetable protein and a vegetable gum are included to help give the product its structure. Identify which ingredients from the list contribute to structure and belong to either classification (i.e., vegetable protein or vegetable gum) and discuss their functionality with respect to product structure. (8 marks)
- The 2 ingredient lists presented below are derived from a product consisting of a creme filling sandwiched between 2 cocoa cookie wafers. The 2 formulations represent different versions of the same type of product. (Note that ingredients are listed in descending order by weight.)
sugar, enriched wheat flour, palm oil, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, soy lecithin (emulsifier), artificial flavour, chocolate
Reduced calorie product:
maltitol, enriched wheat flour, palm oil, polydextrose, cocoa, cornstarch, glycerin, milk protein concentrate, inulin, whey protein concentrate, soy lecithin (emulsifier), baking soda, salt, dextrose, artificial flavour, cellulose gum, chocolate, cream, acesulfame-K, sucralose
The lower calorie version has a modified formulation which attempts to mimic flavour characteristics and creamy mouthfeel associated with the regular formulation. Identify 2 ingredients responsible for imparting flavour and 2 ingredients responsible for imparting mouthfeel in the reduced calorie product. Discuss their roles in the reduced calorie formulation in comparison with ingredients performing the same function in the regular formulation. (12 marks)
- Kefir is a milk product touted to have health benefits. Explain why kefir may be slightly alcoholic, carbonated, and have a sour flavour. What microorganisms are used to produce kefir? (5 marks)
The Yves Jumbo Veggie Dogs has two vegetable gums and two vegetable proteins, which are meant to give this product a good structure. The vegetable proteins are wheat gluten and soy protein, while the vegetable gums are wheat starch and carrageenan (Mittal, 2006). All these ingredients possess different functionalities, but their purpose is to contribute to the structure and thickness of the Yves Jumbo Veggie Dogs. I will now provide more explanations to make things clear and understandable.
The first vegetable protein is soy protein, which is an excellent source of vegetable proteins and is widely used by vegetarians to fulfill their bodies’ requirements of proteins. As the name indicates, this does not come from meat but it has equivalent protein contents. Soy protein is low in saturated fats and does not have cholesterol. In addition, it contains all essential amino acids and can easily and conveniently absorb fats and water, with the ability to hold the same texture as is held by animal proteins in different meat products. Soy protein lets people consume more and more vegetable fats and is an excellent alternative to animal proteins. It has the same nutritional values as are present in chicken, beef and other meat products.
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to scientific essays:
- Discussion Questions Biological & Biomedical SciencesDescription: Indeed, nothing is far from the truth as regards cells than to think cells are simple just because they are quite small. The truth is, cells are the most complex of things in any living thing. For instance, in illustrating the internal complexity of a eukaryotic cell, the narrator explicates that they...1 page/≈275 words | Other | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Other (Not Listed) |
- Project 1: Video/DVD Analysis Social Sciences EssayDescription: While capitalism has become commonplace in today’s business and social life, it represents one of the complex theories of human society that have developed through history and has a set of reservations. The video provides a historical development of the concept of capitalism since 1303 in Italy...2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Social Structure & Interaction Social Sciences CourseworkDescription: Achieved and ascribed statuses assist an individual to fit in society. An achieved status is a social position that is normally acquired by an individual based on merit. This status is also reflected in the abilities and skills of a person. On the other hand, ascribed status is a social position...1 page/≈275 words | MLA | Social Sciences | Coursework |