Research, Practice Problems, and Questions Medicine Coursework (Coursework Sample)
Week 2 Discussion: Research, Practice Problems, and Questions
Professional nurses rely on research findings to inform practice decisions; they use critical thinking to apply research directly to specific patient care situations.
Think about an independent nursing practice problem you care passionately about and would be interested in searching for evidence. The below problems should not be used:
*medical/doctor/physician problems such as medications, or medications administration or effects, diagnostics such as EKGs, labs, cardiac catherizations.
*staffing, nurse-to-patient ratios, workforce issues are organizational/system /political/administrative/multi-stakeholder problems which nursing cannot solve independently.
- Describe a significant nursing clinical issue, topic of interest, or practice problem that is important to you. Describe why you chose the problem/topic.
- Write your clinical question in the PICO(T) format for your nursing practice problem. *To write your clinical question in the PICO(T) format, use the NR439_Guide for writing PICOT Questions and Examples found in your required reading or access the following link:
NR439_Guide for writing PICOT Questions and Examples (Links to an external site.)
- List each of your PICOT elements.
Share why you care about this nursing practice problem and why you believe the problem would benefit from finding the best evidence.
USE ATLEAST 2 REFERENCES.
Houser, J. (2018). Nursing research: Reading, using, and creating evidence (4th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Chapter 2: The Research Process and Ways of Knowing
- Chapter 4: Finding Problems and Writing Questions
Book can be accessed on
Riva, J. J., Malik, K. M., Burnie, S. J., Endicott, A. R., & Busse, J. W. (2012). What is your research question? An introduction to the PICOT format for clinicians. Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association, 56(3), 167-171. permalink (Links to an external site.)
Stillwell, S. B., Fineout-Overholt, E., Melnyk, B. M., & Williamson, K. M. (2010). Asking the clinical question: A key step in evidence-based practice. American Journal of Nursing, 110(3), 58-61. permalink (Links to an external site.)
Research, Practice Problems, and Questions
Surgical Site Infection (SSI)
A surgical site infection is a form of infection arising after performing surgery on a particular body section of the body. These infections can be superficial, occurring only on the skin or under the skin, implanted material, and organs. The nursing problem is chosen because surgical site infection is a serious problem affecting patients (Kamboj et al., 2018). With evidence-based nursing research, the issue can be addressed, and cases of infections eliminated. Professional nurses must research the problem and offer effective solutions during surgical care.
Patient or Population
The infection occurs on any patient without considering gender. Males and females can be victims. Further, the problem affec
- The Literature Review and Searching for Evidence Medicine CourseworkDescription: In their study titled “Delirium: Why are nurses confused?” , Baker, Taggart, Nivens, and Tillman (2015) conducted a literature review on studies that provided primary data on nurses’ delirium, acute confusion, knowledge, and/or recognition. One of the studies in their literature review was by Hare...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Coursework |
- Introduction to Evidence-based Practice Health, Medicine CourseworkDescription: Research is as a systematic process that involves investigation or probe of questions using strict procedures, to produce answers that are trustworthy and unbiased in nursing practice. The evidence gathered about nursing practice is utilized to evaluate and determine better interventions...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Coursework |
- Health Care Reimbursement Training Plan. Health and MedicineDescription: Directions: Create a training plan using this template that describes how Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance reimburse health care organizations for their services....2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Coursework |