Hospital Comparison: UMASS Teaching Hospital (Coursework Sample)
1) Access the Hospital Compare website and select a local hospital. Look at the hospital's publically reported indicators for Process of Care.
2) Write a paper of 1,000-1,200 words that analyzes how the selected hospital performs on these indicators versus two of its competitors. Include your thoughts on the pros and cons of publically reporting these data sets.
3) Refer to the website and incorporate specific examples and details into your paper.
4) Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
5) This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
Hospital Comparison: University of Massachusetts teaching hospital
Date of Submission
Hospital Comparison: UMASS HOSPITAL
The University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center is a one-star rated U.S healthcare provider. However, based on patient survey summary, the hospital has a 3-star rating which compares favorably within the patient survey category. The Umass Memorial hospital is located in 55 LakeAvenue, north Worcester. This paper compares the hospital's average performance against peers within the state and nationally using data retrieved from Medicare's hospital compare search portal.
Umass Hospital Comparative Analysis
In terms of patient experience, 78% of the patients surveyed reported that UMMC nurses always communicated well, against Massachusetts and the national average of 81% and 80% respectively. Ineffective communication between healthcare professionals and patients can hinder the quality of healthcare (Agarwal, Sands & Schneider, 2010). Patients who reported that their doctors constantly communicated well were 79% of those surveyed as compared to the Massachusetts and national average rates of 81% and 82% respectively. This shows that the hospital needs to improve patient care communication. According to Adler-Milstein and Jha (2014), effective physician-patient communication is critical for improved healthcare outcomes. Patients who expressed dissatisfaction in terms of getting prompt help whenever they needed were60% against Massachusetts and a national average of 66% and 69% respectively (MEDICARE, 2018). Patients who felt that their pain was well controlled were 66%, which compared unfavorably with Massachusetts and national average. However, there was a significant decline in patient satisfaction with respect to an explanation on medicine use with only 62% expressing satisfaction against Massachusetts and a national average of 64% and 65% respectively. However, patients who felt that the hospital maintained high sanitary conditions especially in rooms and bathrooms were 72% against the national average of 75%, indicating that there is a dire need for improvement (MEDICARE, 2018). Nevertheless, less than half of those surveyed felt that the area around their rooms was quiet at night, with 54% stating that the hospital environment was extremely noisy. Notwithstanding the noisy hospital environment, Umass hospital compared unfavorably with peers in Massachusetts and nationally with averages of 52% and 63% respectively. The hospital compared favorably in terms of patient education, surpassing the national average by 2% points while remaining at par with the regional average. However, Umass faired unfavorably in terms of patient care explanation thus performing dismally against the local and national peers. Thus it performed 3% and 2% points below the state and national average. Similarly, the hospital performed dismally in terms of patient rating on a scale 0-10 where only 70% of patients rated the hospital favorably as compared to the national average of 73% (MEDICARE, 2018). Similarly, the hospital compared favorably against the national average in terms of possible hospital recommendations, even though it was 1% point below the state average. Moreover, Umass hospital compares favorably in terms of using certified electronic health records as it fully satisfies the EHRS national requirements, even though it's an overall rating of 1 out 5 stars was unfavorable both regionally and nationally. Umass hospital is an Acute Care Hospital that provides all types of emergency services. In the timely and effective care category, and
- Historical Development Of One The Four Advanced Practice RolesDescription: The foundation of all advanced practice roles is the registered nurse, but clinical nurse specialists are among the four recognized APRN roles in the US. ...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Coursework |
- Statistics: Exercise 40Description: Undergraduate writing level 2 pages Health and Medicine Format Style English (U.S.) Coursework. Statistics...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Coursework |
- Medicare, Medicaid, and the Military Managed Care Health SystemsDescription: Ñommand of the entities involved in special markets is fundamental. These entities include the insurance matters in special markets. Understanding the basics involved in these matters is critical...2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Coursework |