Case study response. Health, Medicine, Nursing Case Study (Case Study Sample)
Week 4 DB
No unread replies.No replies.
Read the case study and provide your responses. You must post your answers first to be able to view your classmates’ responses. Your posting must be made on or before Wednesday of week two by 11:59 pm. After posting, please comment on two of your fellow classmates postings by Sunday.
Chapter 16 Case Study
Several months ago, a young woman rock climbing fell where her left leg was wedged tightly into a crevice. The resulting injury was severe, and required amputation below the knee. She has reported to her physician that she continues to suffer from phantom limb pain.
Answer the following questions about the young woman’s pain.
1. The theory that best explains this type of pain is:
a. Gate control theory
b. Pattern theory
c. Specificity theory
d. Neuromatrix theory
2. Nociceptors are free nerve endings in the afferent peripheral nervous system that selectively respond to different stimuli. They are categorized according to the stimulus to which they respond and the properties of the nerve fibers associated with them. The fibers that transmit dull, aching or burning sensation are:
Phantom Limb Pain
Phantom Limb Pain
The ‘limb is gone’ pain knocks at the door. The pain comes with a burning, itching, and twisting sensation. Phantom limb pain is like the unconscious feeling that necessitates one to feel the absent limb is still present though some say it not painful; others say it is a sensation they feel in their bodies. It sometimes drives people to the edge of stress and depression to the verge of committing suicide (Feldman, 1981). Losing a limb is a difficult situation one can go through, especially after being amputated, there is that sensation that comes and alerts the patient that they still have the limb which pushes them to the edged of depression. The essay looks at the best theory that explains phantom limb pain and the nerve fibers responsible for the aching and burning sensation.
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to physician assisted suicide:
- Suicidal research paper. Impact of Social Media on Suicidal Thoughts among Youths and TeensDescription: The social science issue I am dealing with is suicide. For this assignment, I assume the professional role of a social scientist. My research question is; what kind of thoughts and conversations most of these victims or patients think or talk about as they are undergoing the issue?...5 pages/≈1375 words | MLA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Is the Use of the Sarco Suicide Machine Ethical? Social Sciences PaperDescription: Death is inevitable. At some point in life, everyone will die. However, the factors that lead to death differ. Some individuals experience a slow natural death due to old age. Others become terminally ill, and they die in pain. If asked, many people would want to die in dignity...4 pages/≈1100 words | MLA | Social Sciences | Other (Not Listed) |
- BUS 390 Final Project Assignment. History of Labor UnionsDescription: A controversial debate surrounds the concept of a labour union. The history shows that labour unions served as a dual-edged sword due to their positive as well as negative implications while viewed from a multidimensional perspective (Troy 133). ...3 pages/≈825 words | MLA | Business & Marketing | Essay |