Four Functions of Management (Case Study Sample)
Case Study #3 Instructions
Focus on the four functions of management: planning, organizing, leading and controlling (P-O-L-C). You have been hired as a consultant to help Carl Thomas and his family to solve the problems with his business. You will create a management plan that covers the four functions of management. In creating the management plan, you must also demonstrate how the four functions of management are interrelated showing how issues in one function impact other functions.
In speaking with Carl, Joe and John, you already know the following about the business owners:
1 failed to develop or share a mission statement;
2 failed to determine the best way to organize resources, including personnel;
3 underestimates the importance of recruitment, job design and descriptions, and training;
4 assumed that motivation will occur naturally;
5 fails to define standards and other measurable outcomes;
6 ignored negative information;
7 delayed actions to improve organizational outcomes.
Resource that will help you develop the mini-management plan:
How to Make a Management Plan
Management Plan Example
Required Elements of the Management Plan
- Create a management plan that helps Carl, Joe and John run the business, both day-to-day and over the long term (strategically). Be succinct in your writing but persuasive so that the recommendations will have positive outcomes for the business.
- Do not use buzz-word and are not defining terms using a dictionary. Present the material in a professional manner describing and explaining to the owners. As a consultant, you should be secure in your presentation so there are no Carl, Joe and John should do this or do that or they needs to do this or do that but present in an action-oriented manner. Students are expected to make connections between the facts of the case study and concepts, theories, and ideas presented in the course material.
SECTIONS of PAPER
- In creating the management plan, students will first assess the business and identify specific areas of strengths and weaknesses of the business as it relates to the components of the P-O-L-C. In completing this section, do not create a heading for each element of the P-O-L-C but write from the perspective of the consultant discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the business.
- Select a management model (class hierarchy, democratic hierarchy, collaborative management or collective management) and explain why the selected model is most appropriate for Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park;
- Develop roles and responsibility of the owners and employees (Be creative in completing this task);
- Discuss why these positions are necessary to the business; Make specific recommendations for improving the management of Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park. Cover all aspects of the P-O-L-C. This area of the paper specifically addresses the areas of strengths and weaknesses identified above and puts in place a plan for the short and long –term success of the business
- Create a balanced scorecard that will help Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park align its business activities to the vision and strategy of the organization, improves communication and monitors performance against goals. Apply business theories and concepts. Be sure to support reasoning.
Required Formatting of Management Plan:
- The management plan should be single-spaced, 12-point font, and between 6-8 pages in length excluding the title page and reference page.
- Title page with your name, the course name, the date, and the instructor’s name.
- An introductory paragraph, a summary paragraph and the use of headings are required;
- Use the course material to support your reasoning. Outside resources may be used.
- Use APA formatting for in-text citations and reference page. You are expected to paraphrase and not use quotes other than in identifying the mission statement and vision statement.
- In citing sources, the page number/paragraph of the cited source must be provided;
- Write in the third person;
Four Functions of Management
Four Functions of Management
The main aim of starting up any business venture is making profits from the day to day operation of the enterprise. For a business to make a profit there is need to have a successful management team with leadership skills that will drive the business in achieving the set goals. The management has four main functions in running up the business to ensure that there is an increase in productivity, which include planning, organizing, leading and controlling of the business (Blyth, 2009). These functions guide the manager in the role of solving challenges in the operation and coming up with the best solution. The planning function of the management involves setting up goals that are to be achieved by the business considering the internal and external environment that the business is exposed to in operation. According to De Groot, Alkemade, Braat, Hein and Willemen (2010) planning by the manger is done through coming up with the vision, mission, strategy and goals of the business. Organizing is where the manager structures the business allocating the staff in areas where they have adequate skills and knowledge to achieve the set objectives. Leading is where the manager motivates the employees to work for more production. Control by the management is done to assure that the operations of the business are done according to set standards for production of quality goods and services. The outdoor Adventure owned by Carl, Joe and John need to come up and implement a proper management plan for success in business.
Analysis Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park
The management plan for the Outdoor Adventures will be necessary to control the running of the business both on short term and long term basis. For successful operation the Outdoor Adventures which is owned by Carl, Joe and John need to have a well stated business plan to make the business successful. Considering the functions of management which are planning, organizing, leading and controlling the business have various strengths and weakness in management (de Groot, Alkemade, Braat, Hein & Willemen, 2010). Through analysis of the business issues affecting the business internally and externally are identified. After business analysis the owners get a better understanding of the business, managers are able to handle the weakness, prevent threats available in the external business environment and exploit opportunities in the market.
The strength of Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park has the advantage of having charismatic leaders who are visionary to ensure that there is progress in the business. Carl Thomas has worked in the management posts for many years, gaining a lot of knowledge on management. The business also has enough resources to offer competition in the sport and entertainment industry. Skills from the Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park owners are vital in ensuring that there is a competitive advantage considering that the business is also strategically situated to attract more customers. The weakness that the Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park has been having is that the employees are not clearly informed about their duties in the business leading to confusion in the business operation. Services offered to the customers are also not to the specification of the customers making them unsatisfied with the offer. According to Blyth (2009) management plan consider the strength and weaknesses of the business in ensuring that there is progress in performance and financial resources are allocated to projects that help the business to achieve the set goals and objectives.
Democratic Hierarchy Management Model
The management model is necessary as it explains the management and the running of the organization functions i...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Learning styles Essays
- Same sex marriage Essays
- Animal right Essays
- Slavery Essays
- Teenage pregnancy Essays
- American dream Essays
- Immigration Essays
- Racism Essays
- Global warming Essays
- Religion Essays
- Gay marriage Essays
- Police brutality Essays
- Love Essays
- Animal testing Essays
- Obesity in america Essays
- World war 1 Essays
- Planning, Organizing and LeadingDescription: The organization of any business is influenced greatly by the happenings in its surround. There is the creation of new opportunities as well as challenges by these happenings for the business...5 pages/≈1375 words | 5 Sources | APA | Business & Marketing | Case Study |
- Union-Management Relations (UPS)Description: Workers act in solidarity when in unions to get fair treatment and better compensation, while also protecting themselves against arbitrary management actions...2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | APA | Business & Marketing | Case Study |
- Training (Wilson Learning)Description: How does Wilson Learnings know, show, do approach fit with the training processes that this chapter described?...2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | APA | Business & Marketing | Case Study |