Great Expectations: Setting, Major Characters, Events (Book Review Sample)
TOPIC : Great Expectations
1 pg : As for the piece of fiction, analyze the setting, major characters, and major events and summarize the whole story.
2 pgs : Personal Reaction/Response to the Book
1. Create your own topic from the content (concerning the most interesting aspect, a fascinating character, a particularly interesting sequence, scene, etc.).
2. Elaborate your idea with two or three reasons.
3. Write four to five paragraphs.
Setting, major characters, events, and summary
Great Expectations novel was set in Kent and London in the 19th century. It is fully narrated in the first person, where it portrays the personal growth and progression of an orphan nicknamed Pip. The main characters in the novel include the most significant character Pip, the mysterious and vengeful Miss Havisham, the beautiful but cold Estella, and her husband Joe, who is a simple and kind blacksmith. Pip is both the protagonist and narrator of the novel since his actions make up the main plot and his thoughts and attitudes from the reader’s opinion on the story. Estella is a very ironic creation, one who threateningly undermines the notion of romantic love and functions as a criticism against the class system in which she is caught up. On the other hand, Miss Havisham is portrayed as the mad, vengeful and wealthy character, who lives in a decomposing mansion and wears an old wedding dress.
The novel’s main themes include wealth and poverty, love and rejection, and the eventual triumph of good over evil. The book contains interesting scenery, including the opening in a graveyard, where an escaped prisoner, Abel, confronts Pip. It also provides imagery such as poverty, prison chains and battles to the death. Great Expectations shows the life of Pip from when he is six years old to when he is an adult. For much of Great Expectations, Pip appears to trust in unambiguous division between good and evil, and he inclines to categorize people and situations as fitting to one extreme: for instance, regardless of their difficulties, he have faith in that Estella is good and the prisoner is evil. The novel focuses on Pip’s life experiences and events that make his life turn around.
Personal Reaction to the Book
One of the most interesting themes I have learned in the book is “ruining or hurting people’s life will also affect the individual w...
- Literature Project Assignment: Macbeth Book Review Description: Re-Write a Scene - Write a two-page scene based on a section of Macbeth but set anywhere else. Be true to the plot, but make sure the characters fit the setting....1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Book Review |
- Moment Assignment: Slaughter-House Five Book ReviewDescription: Pilgrim survives in an underground zoo in an alien land. He is put on display and believes that he has stayed there long enough to experience the issue of time travel....3 pages/≈825 words | 1 Source | APA | Literature & Language | Book Review |
- The Mississippi Chinese: Between Black and WhiteDescription: Papers will be graded for content, primarily with respect to original, analytical, and critical thought. Papers will also be graded for grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. ...5 pages/≈1375 words | 1 Source | APA | Literature & Language | Book Review |